Featured Articles and Posts
Student-Leader Seminar CEO Dr. Joe Thomas and COO Steve Robbins spent a day with the “Aspiring” and “Principal” leaders of the Bucknell Athletics Leadership Institute to kick off the Institute’s 2016-2017 program year. Principal leaders include team captains and/or experienced leaders of a team, while aspiring leaders are typically underclassmen. Invited by newly-hired Program Director, Lauren Cavallaro, to motivate and inspire the Bucknell student-athletes for the upcoming program year, Dr. Thomas spoke to the team members about prioritization i.e. how they wisely divide their time between athletics, academics, family, and friends and how they “show up” for even the most seemingly unimportant events. Steve Robbins challenged the Bison student-athletes with a “Survival at Sea” outdoor experiential exercise designed to analyze their leadership when operating outside their comfort zone in ad hoc teams with no positional authority. Overall…it was an outstanding day to kick-off the new program year. Well done!
Read the article about the event here
View a video of the event here
‘Warrior Leadership’ is an emerging program designed to draw the lessons from combat-tested leaders returning from our nation’s most recent wars. These in-depth interviews focus on aspects of these experiences that have direct relevance to leadership in non-combat situations. Produced by award winning documentary film maker and former NFL player Jess Atkinson of 3 Penny Films, Dr. Joe Thomas conducts wide ranging interviews with Marines, SEALS, and Special Operations soldiers whose hard-earned insights serve as an absolute treasure trove of lessons for managers and supervisors in any organization.
View the trailers:
For the second year in a row, members of The Student Leader Seminar conducted leadership sessions for the Bucknell Bison Leadership Academy. The SLS members walked away very impressed with the high caliber of student-athletes at Bucknell University and look forward to doing more sessions in the future.
Read the article and watch the video here
Ethical Principles for Leadership - Dr. Joseph J. Thomas
Student Leader Seminar CEO Dr. Joe Thomas served as a panelist for the session "Ethical Principles For Leadership" for the Next Generation of African Security Sector Leaders Program.
Beyond the Call of Duty: A Conversation With Medal of Honor RecipientsStudent Leader Seminar CEO and USNA Class of '61 Professor of Leadership Education and Editor, Dr. Joseph Thomas, facilitates a conversation with Medal of Honor recipients as they share their experiences and the lessons they learned.
Student-Leader SeminarThe Student-Leader Seminar (S-LS) is designed to introduce the topic of ethical leadership to students, athletes, educators, public service professionals, and leaders in the not-for-profit and corporate sectors. The seminars are highly interactive discussions built around the themes of leading with purpose, ethical decision making, and the value of character. The purpose of the Student-Leader Seminar is to:
- Develop leaders who are oriented toward achieving outcomes for the organization
- Build vertical team cohesion (chain-of-command) and lateral team cohesion (co-worker groups)
- Energize organizations with fun, interactive conversations centered on transformational leadership topics
- Develop in the learner a personal understanding of the processes and demands of leadership and provide the tools and tactics to realize full potential
- Encourage thinking about the role of character and the moral/ethical component of leadership
- Employ diagnostic instruments to help participants learn about themselves, their co-workers, subordinates, and leaders
- Provide supporting processes to ensure the learning continues beyond the seminar, including leadership coaching, peer coaching, leadership development plans and guides for further learning about leadership.