Ethical Principles for Leadership - Dr. Joseph J. Thomas
Student Leader Seminar CEO Dr. Joe Thomas served as a panelist for the session "Ethical Principles For Leadership" for the Next Generation of African Security Sector Leaders Program.
Student-Leader SeminarThe Student-Leader Seminar (S-LS) is designed to introduce the topic of ethical leadership to students, athletes, educators, public service professionals, and leaders in the not-for-profit and corporate sectors. The seminars are highly interactive discussions built around the themes of leading with purpose, ethical decision making, and the value of character. The purpose of the Student-Leader Seminar is to:
- Develop leaders who are oriented toward achieving outcomes for the organization
- Build vertical team cohesion (chain-of-command) and lateral team cohesion (co-worker groups)
- Energize organizations with fun, interactive conversations centered on transformational leadership topics
- Develop in the learner a personal understanding of the processes and demands of leadership and provide the tools and tactics to realize full potential
- Encourage thinking about the role of character and the moral/ethical component of leadership
- Employ diagnostic instruments to help participants learn about themselves, their co-workers, subordinates, and leaders
- Provide supporting processes to ensure the learning continues beyond the seminar, including leadership coaching, peer coaching, leadership development plans and guides for further learning about leadership.
Beyond the Call of Duty: A Conversation With Medal of Honor RecipientsStudent Leader Seminar CEO and USNA Class of '61 Professor of Leadership Education and Editor, Dr. Joseph Thomas, facilitates a conversation with Medal of Honor recipients as they share their experiences and the lessons they learned.
Featured Articles and Posts
Student-Leader Seminar faculty member and FARA President-Elect Dr. Christine Copper organized and led two panel sessions at the recent 2015 NCAA Convention. The two panel sessions titled, “Student-Athlete Leadership: A Cross-Divisional Perspective” and “Faculty Mentorship Programs: Enhancing the Student-Athlete Experience and Expanding Faculty Understanding”, were sponsored by the Faculty Athletics Representatives Association (FARA), a professional association for faculty athletics representatives.
Read about Dr. Copper’s panel sessions here
Photo Gallery: S-LS Delivers “Leadership Techniques During Challenging Times” To Bucknell Bison Leadership Academy
Student-Leader Seminar delivered a three-part case study to illustrate leadership techniques during challenging times. Principles of effective communication designed to influence peers, subordinates, and even your boss were discussed. Student-athletes from all men’s and women’s teams at Bucknell participated in a series of seminars on January 22, 2015.
View the Photo Gallery here
Dr. Joe Thomas, a distinguished member of the Student-Leader Seminar faculty, returned to campus on Tuesday to speak to Bucknell’s student-athletes about the topic of hazing within the broader scope of team leadership.
Read the Bucknell University Athletics Article
Student Leader Seminar is excited to be partnering with Bucknell University Athletics to deliver a leadership program to the Bucknell Bison Leadership Academy.
Read the Bucknell University Athletics Announcement
Student Leader Seminar Teams with University of Maryland to Educate US Customs and Border Protection Leaders
Student Leader Seminar is proud to be teaming with the University of Maryland RH Smith School of Business to direct the U.S. Customs & Border Protection Leadership Institute.
Read the University of Maryland RH Smith School of Business Press Release